Monday, January 14, 2008

Sign Mystery

So in the alleyway between my building and the next is this enormous, decaying sign from the bygone Gaslight Square era. Check it out:



as you can not so clearly see, the sign clearly says "Gaslight Square". I've been trying to find out from people just where the heck this used to reside. So far, I've been told by one old timer that it was in front of the Crystal Palace, which used to be located on the southwest corner of Olive and Boyle.

If you look at this documentary at minute 13:30, you can see that either this sign or it's twin was used to mark "The Guilded Cage, another Gaslight Square joint. I put in an e-mail to the documentary filmmaker, hopefully I'll get the whole mystery solved in time to negotiate fixing the damend thing up to put in front of the building.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sign was quite iconic and well known in the VERY old Gaslight square era. Don't throw it out.

Frank Robbins, LEED AP said...

Hey HPark4,
I don't even know how the heck I would even BEGIN to throw that sign out! It must weigh 800 lbs. Do you remember it at all from the Gaslight era? Was it or it's twin in front of the Gilded Cage?